Greetings, Loyal Reader!
I want to point interested Loyal Readers to the character profiles I provided for Savage Mojo’s Caladon Falls fantasy RPG campaign setting. I described the basic setup of Caladon Falls in an earlier post. My small contributions to this product were in two categories–the mini-scenes I mentioned last post, and a set of pre-gen character profiles–which you can download free right now at Savage Mojo.
The premise of the Caladon Falls campaign is that the player characters are the Milltown Irregulars, a ragtag band of hastily assembled militia auxiliaries sent on various critical–and increasingly dangerous–missions as the invasion of Caladon by evil forces progresses. While you can roll your own characters (are RPG characters still “rolled” or is it all “build with points” now?) Savage Mojo also provides a group of pre-made characters you can choose from.
My assignment was to create names, personalities and back stories for each of these characters, including some explanation of how and why they all happened to be in the little nowhere settlement of Milltown at just the right–or wrong–time. This is what distracted me from Noble Cause for a month or two this past summer. It was fun, but time-consuming!
For inspiration I was given the group portrait (click image to enlarge) that illustrates this post, and plentiful background on the setting and major plot points of the campaign. Within a few hundred words apiece, I tried to give each character an interesting personal story and a compelling reason to be in Milltown and to get involved once the action starts. Because it is a dark campaign, most of the Irregulars have some degree of a painful past. I also tried to think of the dynamics of the group as a whole and to plant seeds that could set up conflicts, friendships, and perhaps even romance among the characters as the campaign progresses–depending on how the players play it.
Going left to right, here is the Milltown Irregulars starting line-up:
- Larin (aka Gregard), House Spy: That doesn’t mean he’s a real estate agent. He’s an agent in the employ of one of the noble houses that rule the kingdom of Caladon
- Gris, Hunter: A loner and explorer more at home in the wilderness than in towns. And a peerless tracker of evil-doers.
- Isolde, Archer: Local girl made good. Matchless with a bow. Also, hates matches.
- Tyrnan, Mercenary: Loves to fight. Has issues with authority. Should be a fine addition to the army!
- Aloic, Crusader: He’s a man on a mission. Don’t get in his way.
- Nym, Knight: A young knight with his head in the clouds.
- Raelyn, Enchanter: She’s the best worker of magic in a thousand generations. Just ask her.
- Kayth, Protector: Someone has to heal all these people. But harm his brother Nym and he’ll take you apart.
- Eiohna, Druid: A free spirit. Truly out of this world. (And my personal favorite.)
I enjoyed the exercise and the chance to let my imagination run wild in someone else’s sandbox. Again, you can see for yourself how it turned out by downloading the free Caladon Falls Milltown Irregulars pdf at Savage Mojo. Even if you don’t plan to buy Caladon Falls, check out the cool characters. You might just change your mind and decide to buy the campaign book too (which is the only way you’ll be able to read my aforementioned mini-scenes!)